Thursday, February 01, 2007

this little guy is giving someone the finger



Widespread panic in Boston! I'm sure you all know the story by now.

Some questions--
1) After removing... um... say signage number 2 or 3 wouldn't it occur to the bomb squad that it wasn't a bomb?
2) Why would terrorists display their bombs in prominent places such as lampposts?
3) Is everyone crazy????

You might not agree with me on this one but this is yet another interesting piece of history... just like...dare I say... Orson Welles' broadcast of War of the Worlds. This is what happens when a group of people feed off each other’s feelings and fears. My mom said, "Well, they were irresponsible. They should have gotten permission to place the devices first." I told my mom that there's no way permission would have been given. Gorilla stuff, such as The Giant stickers all over the place, are against the rules. You can't go placing stuff on public property--thus the gorilla part.

I guess I won't do that gorilla-marketing ploy I had planned for my latest book... but then again, maybe I should. Our friend Jarrett did a little of that for his book Punk Farm--he distributed stickers and asked for people to place them around the city. I don't know whether it worked or not but it seems like a cool idea!

Some thoughts to chew on. And that, my dear readers, is the last post out of me. My thursday timeslot is over!

meghan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I was thinking the same thing. wouldn't you figure out it was a cartoon light?
2. I know. would terrorists worry about creating a cute character and then put them in the open?
3. yes. unfortunately. yes.

Laura~~

Agyw said...

My second job out of high school was at a bank (the first was a shoe factory, went from an honors college prep student to dealing with welts and factory mentality at 6:30 a.m., but that's another story). I remember I completed all tasks and sitting at my desk (okay I was a very young eighteen, I didn't know what appearances meant and went out of my way to avoid them, not wearing makeup till in my twenties, because I wanted people to see ME and not the paint I wore on my skin). I was oh-so-surprised to be called into my supervisor's office. Seems it didn't matter that I'd completed my tasks. The appearances mattered as much. I was to find something to do, even if it was all make-believe.

Strange segue, but I think much of this is a combination. People can't be effectively "controlled" if they think freely, ah but through fear... and for the bazillions left over from our current wars, most is spent on these "safety-measures". It's always good to kill as many birds as possible, the whole flock if necessary, and if one looks deep enough one can find the necessity, and this little romp certainly fit that bill. People fearful for a day, the visual of those people doing the "hard werk" of keeping us safe and the sleight of hand continues. And it's one two three four, what are we fighting for, don't ask me, I can't give the damn, Next stop most likely is Iran. And it's five six seven eight, open up them oil freights, then refrain to Paraguay with the sun and Moon.

Sorry, feeling particularly jaded tonight. You do know if not enough of a stink is raised the next front is nigh upon us.